Dansk Mjod Viking Blod Mead
About Dansk Mjod Viking Blod Mead
A traditionally brewed mead combined with dried hibiscus. Curiada tasters describe it as lovely, complex and sweet. Dansk Mjod is a beautiful mix of contradictions. It celebrates the ancient traditions of mead-making in its native Denmark. But, it's a modern brewery founded in 1994.
They use a traditional recipe from around 1700 of just honey and water for brewing the mead. But, they then pair it with hibiscus for a bright, unique taste.
Dansk Mjod is a small, family-owned brewery. But, it is one of the only brands with the muscle to take the wonderful art of mead-making global.
It is from the small town of Billund, Denmark with only 7,000 people. But, Billund is home to the legendary Lego Group and Legoland.
So, the next time you pack up the family for Legoland, sneak out the back gate and find your way to the small, family-owned Dansk Mjod brewery. You'll enjoy a brewery rich in mythology and lore but making a modern mead that is wonderfully enjoyable.
With a deep, red color and a floral aroma, Dansk Mjod Viking Blod Mead has a smooth, sweet taste that is balanced with a slightly bitter finish. The honey flavor is pronounced, but not overpowering, and the hibiscus and hops add a subtle complexity to the flavor profile.
Dansk Mjod Viking Blod Mead is best enjoyed on its own, sipped slowly and savored. However, it also makes a unique and interesting addition to cocktails. Try using it as a substitute for sweet vermouth in a classic Manhattan or mix it with whiskey and lemon juice for a honey-infused take on a whiskey sour.
- Max Miller, creator and host of Drinking History, in: Viking Blood Bread
- Greg, creator and host of hit YouTube channel How to Drink, in: A Drink for Vikings?
750ml & 19% ABV
Main Ingredient: Honey
Country of Origin: Denmark
Too hard to choose? Send a gift card.
Please drink responsibly. CA Residents: Proposition 65 Warning.
- Frank W.Verified BuyerI recommend this productAge Range 25 - 34I'm More Into: Cocktails AND SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) WhiskeyI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsBest mead yet
Best mead yet. Well done.Best ForRated 2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Robert N.Verified BuyerI recommend this productAge Range 21 - 24I'm More Into: SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, CognacI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsA Great Choice! (Hard to find in local stores)
It's flavor profile is great, dry and over ice. Ecxellent with a meal, wether it be pasta or steak. Also great just to enjoy when you want some mead. Definitely gonna order more!Best ForRated 2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Lime D.Verified ReviewerI recommend this productI'm More Into: Cocktails AND SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Whiskey, Scotch, Amari, Cognac, TequilaI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsI served this at my wedding
After trying all manner of meads from sweet to dry to spicy, and even brewing a couple too, the Dansk Mjods still blew me away. My best man at my wedding agreed Viking Blod was his favorite bottle too, so we ordered a case for my wedding and it was a hit.
I don't usually spring for sweet mead, but the florals balanced it for me. What makes it "******" is all the spiced hibiscus, the same thing that makes agua de jamaica a deep red drink.
One packaging experience I'll add (buying them from a store, not from Curiada) was two of my twelve bottles gained long hairline cracks after we transported them a couple of times. This happened again a year later too, 2000 miles away. These probably don't take well to being shaken, so keep an eye on the bottles.Best ForRated 2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Christopher B.Verified BuyerI recommend this productAge Range 55 - 64I'm More Into: Cocktails AND SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Whiskey, Tequila, Scotch, Mezcal, GinI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsA fantastic mead
It is a good strong mead but with enough hops to really give it a ale kick to it. The amber color really adds to the experience.Best ForRated 2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- K T.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 starsA fine mead
I brew mead. This a fine mead. A beautiful balance of sweet and bold. Max has not steered me wrong yet.
Gift message (optional)