Did you need another reason to buy fresh cherries this summer? We've got ya.
This recipe takes a classic summer cocktail - the margarita - and adds a couple of new dimensions. You'll still find that tart, sweet, thirst-quenching blend of tequila, lime, and salt, but add in layers of depth, complexity, and the fresh sweet taste of perfectly ripe cherries.
We recommend using a reposado tequila here, as the distinctive oaked flavor pairs exceedingly well with the fresh cherry taste. Luxardo Maraschino adds a note of almond for additional depth. Depending on how tart you like your margaritas (and how sweet your cherries are!) you might even consider dropping the simple syrup and upping the Luxardo, as it provides its own sweet taste.
Fresh Cherry Margaritas
6-8 fresh cherries (depending on size), halved, stems & pits removed
1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
2 oz reposado tequila
1-1.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur (to taste)
.5 - 1 oz simple syrup (to taste, or omit completely)
fresh cherries and lime wedge for garnish
1. Run a slice of lime around your glass rim and dip into coarse salt.
2. Muddle cherries and lime juice in a cocktail shaker until cherry juices have been fully released.
3. Add tequila, Luxardo, & simple syrup (if using) to the shaker. Then add ice and shake until very cold, ~30 seconds.
4. Add ice to prepared glass and double strain cocktail into the glass.
5. Garnish with fresh cherries and a lime slice, as desired