Chartreuse Vegetal de La Grande (Chartreuse Elixir Vegetal)
About Chartreuse Vegetal de La Grande (Chartreuse Élixir Végétal)
With extremely limited available supply of Yellow and Green Chartreuse (which appears to be the new status quo, unfortunately!) we're happy to share that we have been able to source some bottles of this unique expression of Chartreuse: Élixir Végétal de la Grande Chartreuse, as it's called in France.
This smaller format (100ml) expression of Chartreuse comes in at a much higher proof (69% ABV vs. 55% for Chartreuse Green and 40% for Chartreuse Yellow), because it is intended to be used as a cordial, tonic, or digestif, sipped in small amounts, slowly, following a meal.
Though it's only recently available in the US, this Chartreuse has been made from the same recipe since 1764 and is often used as a type of herbal treatment in France.
The story goes that in 1605, the Duke of Estrees gave the Carthusian monks a recipe made up of 130 plants that would together create an "elixir of long life." For the next 150 years, the monks perfected the recipe, and Élixir Végétal de la Grande Chartreuse is the result.
The bottle comes in a small wooden box to protect the spirit inside from light and ensure its perfect conservation.
This little package packs an intensely herbal and medicinal punch. Add a small amount to tea, sip very slowly following a meal, or use (in scant quantities) in all your favorite classic cocktails featuring Chartreuse.
There are three stages of production that take place over several weeks. First the distillation to obtain the aroma, then maceration which gives the natural color, and finally extraction which makes it possible to retain the beneficial properties of the 130 plants, flowers, bark, roots and spices that are found in the spirit. Its potent flavor comes primarily from the use of plants in their natural state.
100ml & 138 Proof
Order other Liqueurs & Other Spirits for delivery to your door.
Browse other Liqueurs & Other Spirits Cocktails for more drink suggestions!
Main Ingredient: Herbs
Country of Origin: France
Too hard to choose? Send a gift card.
Please drink responsibly. CA Residents: Proposition 65 Warning.
- Sean M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productAge Range 25 - 34I'm More Into: CocktailsMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) RumI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsGreat Green Chartreuse Substitute
A few dashes of this (5-7) is all it takes to add the GC flavors to a cocktail. In the absence of GC, this is an excellent sub.Best ForRated -2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Michael H.Verified BuyerI recommend this productI'm More Into: Cocktails AND SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Whiskey, Tequila, Rum, MezcalRated 5 out of 5 starsA great substitute for normal Chartreuse
Found that this just released in the US recently, so bought a couple bottles to compare it to the original Chartreuse. For a Last Word I use 7 dashes of this instead and it works great. I stocked up after!Best ForRated -1.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Mason R.Verified BuyerI recommend this productI'm More Into: Cocktails AND SippingMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Mezcal, Scotch, Whiskey, Amari, GinI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsIt’s so cool to have this.
I have a dropper bottle and and atomizer for this. It’s great to spray into a glass before pouring a drink or to add around 10 drops to a drink.Best ForRated -2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- Ami S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productAge Range 55 - 64I'm More Into: CocktailsMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) GinI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsExcellent bitters
A few dashes added to a Chartreuse substitute helps perk it up. It also works very well as a nice bitters, adding a dash to a Martini or even a Gin and Tonic.Best ForRated -2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
- vicki c.Verified BuyerI recommend this productI'm More Into: CocktailsMy Spirit of Choice (if forced to choose!) Scotch, Gin, AperitifsI Bought This For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsIt works well
This does work quite well as a Chartreuse "substitute ". Figure I had better get another before this is gone alsoBest ForRated -2.0 on a scale of minus 2 to 2
Gift message (optional)